This is all the useful information I garnered from reading Susan Roane’s book, How to Work a Room.
- Consider bringing a buddy.
- Arriving on time minimizes stress from being in a crowd.
- It’s rude not to respond to an RSVP request.
- Plan both event activity and follow up.
- Always bring cards.
- Read professional journals for conversation topics.
- Use other people’s stories, and prepare jokes. Don’t complain about things.
During the Event
- A good self-introduction lasts 7-9 seconds, begins with your name, and establishes what you have in common with other people at an event.
- Look for people standing alone.
- Try to behave as a host (meeting people, starting conversations, introducing others, and making sure people’s needs are met) rather than a guest.
- Try to have a little banter ready.
- Ask relevant questions, but not too many.
- Ask groups if they don’t mind if you join them. No one…
View original post 95 more words